We’ve all fallen victim to procrastination. It’s a bad habit to fall into, but it’s just so easy to put things off. Procrastinating can be conquered! If you’re a chronic procrastinator, these 5 tips may help you. So don’t save this article for later, read it now.
1. Set a time. If you have something on your to-do list that you keep putting off try setting a definite deadline or appointment time for it. Tell yourself that when your chosen time comes around, you are doing that project. Set an alarm if you need to, and focus on that time.
2. Imagine the future. Visualize what it will be like when your deadline passes, and the work’s not done. Focus on how you will feel about trying to explain why it isn’t done. What will happen if it doesn’t get accomplished? It’s much better to do it now.
3. Break things up into steps. Sometimes trying to conquer something big is overwhelming. It’s hard to figure where to start, so you just put it off. Divide and concur. Break the work into sections or steps and get it done a little bit at a time.
4. Don’t let fear get in the way. Often, fear of failure or general anxiety can be an underlying cause for procrastinating. Give yourself a pep talk. You CAN do this!
5. Get help to get past getting stuck. There are times when we get stuck in the middle of a project and procrastinate because we aren’t sure what the next step should be. You can ask for advice. Letting another pair of eyes read or see where you’re stuck can help you see things from a different perspective.